Last week I sent out a note inviting readers to join me in an exploratory email-based discussion-stream I’m calling The Columbus Group.
The name is not terribly earnestly thought out, but it conveys the sense of adventure into the unknown that I know will pervade the thought-stream, so there it is.
This is a supplementary note to expand just a bit on what The Columbus Group is, and a more overt invitation than last time to participate if you’d wish.
Essentially my desires for forming the group are thus:
- I am doing a lot of learning right now which feels far too good (and of value to thought leaders in business and life) not to share. The topics include thought leadership, reclaiming our physical selves, power dynamics in relationship, fear, sustaining change, teaching and expression, and learning itself.
- It helps me greatly to write and process the learning in conversation with my chosen community, that is, you.
- I’d like to enjoy, on an even more personal level, your company, which isn’t maximally possible in the format of this regular newsletter. Plus, not everyone will want to catch the vibe right now, in the season of their lives.
Translation: I think there is something of value here and am lightly constructing a container in which to capture it, with the intent to enrich us all, and if the idea strums you, I would thoroughly enjoy you coming along for the ride.
What is The Columbus Group exactly?
- A discussion stream wherein I will write text-based insights, stories, learning points and ‘connecting of the dots’ and send them to you via email. (This will be text only and very rudimentary/rough in formatting – no pretty pictures or anything like that. Think charcoal stick and piece of bark.)
- You will be invited to participate by replying to me in email. Sometimes I will have questions – what the heck, of course I will have questions – both direct, requesting thoughts from you, and indirect, more general questions that simply invite you to throw into the mix.
- From time to time I will post Columbus Group writings into this blog and invite responses out on the blog so the group and others can read, and there can be an archive created. There will be a bit of evolution I’ll follow in terms of how often I’ll use the blog and how often I’ll stay in email. I’m not sure yet and will be open to your thoughts.
- As to frequency, during intense periods you may receive more than one email a day, a couple of times a week. Other weeks you may read me on this channel once or twice, or not at all. More usually probably somewhere in between. My suggestion to you would be to approach this very lightly, with not a shred of should, only with joy and curiosity like approaching a favourite meal or walk, or maybe a treasured conversation with someone who stimulates you.
- The Columbus group is open and no charge. Obviously it will be up to you, and an easy way to come and go will be made available. There is no requirement to participate a certain number of times, but I will very much value all you bring, as frequently and deeply as you’d like.
What it’s not…
- I’m not technically calling this an R&D team, of the Thomas Leonard ilk, because it won’t be project driven, nor will I be creating products for sale out of this exercise.
Benefits to you…
- You will be stimulated to think new things.
- You will be encouraged to act on those new thoughts.
- You will likely become more creative in your own projects as new perspectives open up in your mind.
- I believe you will become more flexible, critical and clear about what you think.
- I believe you may become more compassionate with and celebratory of yourself, as you share in a learning process transparently with me.
Translation: Let’s be thinking partners, shall we?
A few technical details:
- Please do not join The Columbus group with an eye towards directly lifting or using the materials I share. I will be giving full credit to the sources I’m learning from, which will vary, and, there will be material I create of my own. If you have a desire to repost or republish writing from the group, I request that you write me for express permission. While I am very willing to expand the circles that connect with us, I’m not yet ready to give complete free rein. In other words, I’m cultivating a small, organic, deep level of expansion as opposed to a speedy viral one, at least to begin.
- On the flip side, what you contribute and offer by way of response in emails or comments will belong to you, and I will not – without actively requesting and receiving permission from you – pilfer, reprint or otherwise use your offerings. It’s a two-way partnership.
- Having said both of the above, I anticipate there will be quite a few requests for sharing which is wonderful.
- My intention is to reply to everything I receive, even with just the briefest of smiles. Sometimes that will take hours and other times days.
- Last but not least, you may certainly welcome other people to this invitation. In this world of so many absolutes and goal-orientation, the vagueness and intrigue of ‘exploring learning’ together in unpredictable ways will, in itself, have an adequate self-deselection process as to keep things on the clean and clear.
Well, that feels like plenty enough blathering.
I hope this clarifies what that little invite was, such that you can determine if you’d like to join in. It means a lot to me that already several dozen of you raised your hands knowing nothing but the name of the group. I’m touched.
To sign up, please enter your info, click Submit, and, well, you know the drill.
The first posts are queued up and will be sent to you upon signup. I look forward to hearing from you about them.